Thursday, November 21, 2013

A day of Ger-many smiles

Yesterday we celebrated the advent of Bethany's existence in the world.  Happy Birthday Bethany!  Fortunately for me Bethany wanted to go to Belgrano (a touristy German town nestled in the Sierras) to celebrate.  Alright, drag me along...if you have to ;)    And now, if you would like, I can drag you along as well :)

After a french toast breakfast we packed up and headed out.  The last 40 minutes of the drive were pretty.  First, there was a lake:



We stopped at this place along the lake because we had car trouble earlier in the drive so we had actually all been in the car for about 2 hours by this point.

here you go, Mom


I most definitely did not mind the chance to get out and stretch my legs.  Even better than that...there were all of these little shops trying to sell smoked sausages and cheese.  In their desperation to win your patronage from the other stores that were selling almost the exact same thing they set up these stands where they would give you samples of anything you wanted to try.  Let me just say, competition tastes good.  Smokey.
And then we continue.  I am sorry I only got one across-the-seats-and-out-the-window picture of the next part of our journey; and not one picture of the winding through the Sierras section.  Since a picture is worth a thousand words I guess I owe you 1,500.  Don't worry, I wont make good on it.  But I will try and describe it a little :)  

The section that you can see in the picture is more or less the plains (Pampas) that lead to the Sierras.  That section reminded me of a combination of the Kentucky foothills and Israel.  I don't mean that I saw Jews walking around drinking sweet tea and saying ya'll.  I DO mean that it was a blend of the rolling lush greenery and arid rockiness that those places bring to mind.  The trees in this section were brushy and had the "I can last as long as I need to without a drink of water.  Water makes you weak"  It was pretty in its own way.

The very last section winding up the Sierras was refreshing.  The air was cool and carried with it the herbal scent of the Eucalyptus trees that were apparently everywhere...I still don't know what they look like, but by golly I do know what they smell like, and its nice.  


And now we're here!  The rest of these pictures are going to be an out of order mash up that I hope gives you some kind of an idea of what this little town felt like.  Ami would do a better job, I've never been good at summarizing, ("No, it takes too long, I sum up") either with words or with pictures.

I liked seeing all of the wood.  Everything in Cordoba is painted cinder block, which is great when it comes to fire prevention and natural air conditioning, but...well..



Our imaginary horses got away from us!

These little cars are SO common here and I FINALLY got a picture of one!  Aren't they adorable?  Souvenir idea for mom...in the imaginary land of Erin is a Millionaire.

We stopped to eat lunch, and the German restaurant Bethany had been looking forward to eating at was closed :(  So we ate here instead.  We found a table underneath a stone covered archway with ivy climbing up it.  I loved it.
We ate at Cafe Rissen.  I swiveled around in my chair and took this picture.

My lomito splitting buddy.  Those sandwiches are HUGE.


German chocolate shop.  Good thing we went here AFTER I was stuffed from lunch.

This is a missionary couple.  In a face-in-the hole promoting Oktoberfest.  There you have it folks.













Salami land!

Translation:  Big Beer Park.   We are in German town.


Kegs.  Everywhere.  There were some cool restaurants where the seating was made out of kegs.



   These two.  It is strange to think that after being such a huge part of my every day, every hour, life here I will be leaving them and "moving on".  They will look back someday and remember who I am from pictures.  I entered their lives in their childhood, which will leave its mark, but they have shaped my adult life, in a way that I will never ever forget.









No comments:

Post a Comment