Monday, October 7, 2013

Beautiful. Once, twice, three times a lady.

So much has happened since I last wrote, but instead of a summary, I want to write about what has been on my mind the most.  I could write about things but today I am much more motivated to write about the people that those things have put me in contact with.  Specifically three beautiful women that all make me a little sad.  I don't know how motivated you will be to pray for them if you have never met them, but just in case...I want to share this with you.

Thursday:  Lucia, Bethany and I celebrated the anniversary of Lucia's baptism.
Lucia is one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen.  I told her that last Thursday at the Lady's Bible Study and her eyes welled up, she said she's never believed that about herself.  She is 50 years old and single.  She lived with a man (this is SO common) during her B.C. days, but since being baptized 7 years ago that has stopped.  She is the companionship kind, but she is unwilling to sacrifice her desire for relationship in order to follow the command that we not be unequally yolked.  I am so proud of her for that, and it makes me sad for her.  She lives with her parents and takes care of them; her mom can't even brush her own hair.  She works in the baker that her parents own...which is connected right to her house.  She has to die to self every day and sacrifice living an independent life.  She has beautiful golden brown skin, thick russet blonde hair that swings just above her shoulders and eyes so dark that you can't make out the pupil from the iris, they look as soft as velvet.  And even though there is something aloof about the way she carries herself, she seems genuinely concerned with making sure every person she greets feels...precious; something in the way that she gives the Argentine kiss.  She was one of the first people to remember my name, and when she talks to me I feel genuinely cared about and listened to.  She also happens to be one of those ladies that knows exactly what colors to wear, so that she looks like a well coordinated painting every time you see her.  I don't think it is just the romantic in me that is praying that she will find a godly Christian man who will see beautiful Lucia, inside and out.

Monday:  today Mari came over again and taught us more sign language!
Mari has an infectious smile.  It is one of the most rewarding feelings when she shines the light of her smile upon you in approval.  Her eyes crinkle so tight that they almost disappear, except for the thick dark curve of her eyelashes.  She has dark olive skin and silver hair that escapes her ponytail in little wisps of energy around her face.  Her hands are beautiful.  I love to watch her speak.  She has a habit of pushing up her cat eyed glasses in a way that is for some reason very becoming.  Her face is so expressive and when she laughs every inch of her grandmotherly 4'11'' frame laughs with her.  I wish she knew Jesus.  Please pray that she will meet Him.

Sunday:  We spent all day in Las Bajadas.  Leti and I had a couple of hours alone.
Leti looks exactly the way I always imagined Carmen (the protagonist from the opera of the same name) would , or Bess the Landlord's daughter from the Highway Man.  Her hair is perfect for the part, is spills past her shoulders in a riot of jet black ringlets.  It is such beautiful hair.  When we (Leti, the children and I) went on a walk (out into the campo...wow, was that a magical seeming place) she shoved a baseball cap down on it.  Let me tell you, that cap was pushed to its limits.  She has huge dark eyes, thick lashes and full brows.  She laughs a lot and compliments people generously.  On our walk she did such a wonderful job of keeping the conversation going, in fact, she has always made me feel like a person, an intelligent human being that would have feelings and opinions about things despite many moments where all I can do is shrug and smile in confusion.  I think that is what makes her the most beautiful to me.  She is a new Christian and she is trying to raise her children to love Him, but her Juan is not a Christian.  That weighs so heavily on her.         

Well, I have read and re-read this and I can't really make myself take anything out or write anything else...so I suppose that means I am going to press the "Publish" button soon.  I haven't slept much lately, that might be affecting things.  Bear with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment