Saturday, October 26, 2013

Oh Happy Day!

When I thought about coming to Argentina, one of my goals was to act as a co-interpreter for a Gospel Choir director from NY teaching an all-day seminar to a group of 50+ Argentinians.  For sure.

The combination of my love of gospel music and speaking Spanish...in a microphone...in front of people, made that an obvious goal.  Never mind the fact that it is a pretty common aspiration.  Lets be honest, who hasn't desired that at one moment or another?

Oh, and of course sing "Misty" in front of a group of people who are there because they have amazing voices.

DESPITE all of the sarcasm you may or may not find above, the title of this post really is true.  Oh.  Happy.  Day.  I spent the whole day with Adriana, one of Bethany's best friends.  I met a ton of new people.  I spoke Spanish, I spoke English, I was needed.  I was WAY below my standard of what an interpreter should be, but I helped facilitate communication, and that I loved.  It was a great experience to have from the perspective of seeing how an interpreter functions.  I'd never done anything like that before.  Please do not get in your heads an image of me flawlessly translating for the choir director!  Adriana did most of the work, I helped when needed.  I was paid for this paltry work in delicious sweet and a restaurant experience that might be one of the fanciest I have been to.  I got to sing with them, and it was so fun, belting out at the top of your lungs, and still not being heard, because everyone around you is doing the same.  I had some fun conversations with people afterwards as well.  It was just a fun day, even though there were admittedly awkward or uncomfortable moments.

After the long day was over, Adriana and I drove back from Villallende (which sounds beautiful in Castellano by the way) and stayed at her house until Bethany and Roman and the girls came back from the Fiesta de la Luz (a Halloween alternative for children at the church)  That was wonderful.  Adriana, her daughter Camilla and her son Agustin and his girlfriend Gisella and I all sat around the table and talked and laughed.  They all wanted to hear American accents, and then British accents etc.  It was fun.  So fun.  I felt so safe trying to speak in Spanish with them.  I think that is what I need in order to practice more, to feel safe.

So yes, I had a great day.  And all week I was dragging my feet about doing this.  Go figure.

Here mommy, I tried...I really tried.  I gave my camera to Adriana to take a picture of Markanthony (the choir director) and I....and this is what happened.  But as they sing "give of your best to the master..."



3 comments:

  1. Did you share with Adriana and familia your central Alabama accent? Low-gun. Really glad you had FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Erin, I cannot adequately express how greatly your blog posts encourage me and make me laugh out loud and cause me to rejoice over the beautiful person you are! Keep it up. I love you, girl!--this is Cindy on Liz's account:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha Daddy, "My suuun Low-gun rahs the buus"

    Cindy thank you for reading! I have seen pictures of the wedding and it made me miss your family! I have been so blessed to have grown up with your house as one of my happiest places :)

    ReplyDelete