Tuesday, October 1, 2013

"Up on the roooof...and two sneaky tie-ins"

Today I was asked to clamber onto the roof to get more lemons for yet another delicious lemon dessert.  Mari is coming over tomorrow!  Unfortunately, Eric has pneumonia so he won't be able to come.  Not to see a silver lining in that but...it means that it will be a sign language lesson, and not a translation meeting.  Which means I get to learn more sign language!


Anyway, it was so lovely on the roof (almost 70 degrees today everyone!) that during "quiet time" I decided to go back :)  The sun was warm and the breeze lifted a very fresh lemon scent all around.  So nice.  Much nicer than the scent of vinegar and mayonnaise that is surrounding my head right now...lice.  (sneaky tie in #1)  
I was struggling with my attitude this morning about this whole lice thing.  I feel pretty gross (and Abi and Eli aren't the most...tactful, I felt like a cross between a baboon and a science experiment), and kind of hopeless (didn't I get rid of these things once already?).  However, as mom pointed out, we can let so many little things (thousands of little things, like creepy parasitic bloodsuckers that roam your scalp) hold us up from  
A. serving the Lord and 
B. having an other's centered attitude. 

She also pointed out that I should "be bigger than these lice!"  Obviously I've got that one down on the physical level (although with the amount of sweets I eat it really isn't a fair contest), but spiritually?  How small do I want to be?  Satan is throwing his lice darts at me...I would like to think that it would take something bigger to break me.  But, fact is, even for something as small as lice darts, I can't ward them off on my own.  Thankfully, I have a really big God.  {ok, that whole post was my attempt at levity, but seriously...would you pray for me?}

While I was on the roof I was able to see the "tear down the walls that hold me inside" project from a bird's eye view (if you get that song reference, bueno.) (Also,sneaky tie in #2 alert)  The house I live in was all walled in, they are tearing down the walls to make a large backyard, easy access from one house to the other and eventually room for an Argentine asado.


So here is how it goes...Roman, with a chisel and a hammer.  Hauling the pile of blocks that accumulated as a result to the curb outside will be our contribution to the war effort.   This is one side of the wall.  There is another that is even larger to the left of where Bethany is standing that will also have to go, sometime in the near near future.





And this is the cutest barnacle that you ever did see.

1 comment: