Friday, October 25, 2013

I've never been to Boston in the Fall

This post is not exactly about Argentina, per say, but it has come as a product of my being here and going to Bible studies and talking with mom, so I think it falls with the legal limits of blogdom.

 The topics of God's sovereignty, human free will and God's will have come up several times.
“We are not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be.”--C.S. Lewis
This quote has just hit the nail on the head for me.  Why is it that I say with a resigned sigh "God is sovereign."  What my tone and heart expression say is "Well, something not fun happened.  Must be because God is in control.  He's not going to give me what I want, but I guess since He's God and everything that is the best way for it to be."  Hello!?  Seriously.  There is a God that is crazy about me.  The only One who knows me, really knows me, and believe it or not is still crazy about me.  And He is the one with all of the power in the whole universe.  He is sovereign.  If my earthly father had all the money in the world and could change anything he wanted with a snap of his fingers I would think I had it made.  Because I wouldn't doubt for a second that he would use that power always and only in my best interest.  So what's the problem?  This:  I don't really deeeeep down act like I believe that about my Heavenly Father.  That's what.

So, human will, God's will.  Here's the thing.  I often see it like:

Human will= fun and freedom
God's will=wet blanket
therefore:
human will > God's will

 Again, false.

Mom was talking to me yesterday about how its easy to think of God as mean.  Ouch.  When He sent Adam and Eve out of the Garden and blocked it with an angel with a sword it is easy to feel like He is a big bully.  False.  Adam and Eve sinned, I sinned, and God had to destroy something He created to cover them.  He put the angel there so that they didn't have to spend eternity apart from Him.  They, we, broke His heart, and He was already planning a way to win us back.

Pretty much what we can garner from this is that my thinking is super twisted.  I want to excavate my heart, replace it with a child like trust in my Abba.  He is so good. He is so kind.


I feel like Larry of the Pirates who don't do anything.  I can hear Pa Grape berating me in my head:  "What are you talking about?  We're supposed to sing about Arentiney things!"  So, here you go.  Just to make it a liiiitle more Argentiney, have a couple of pictures :)

Abi and Eli wrote this for me when I first got here.  Its a Spanish dictionary.

This is the view from where I sit.  


2 comments:

  1. "They, we, broke His heart, and He was already planning a way to win us back." I love that so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your dad had all the money in the world you would know it.
    About the garden; yeah, it's like He gave us the best house in the world, with amazement and wonder at every turn, and we totally trashed it, set it on fire and then hid from Him. What? What mess? as we stand in garbage up to our elbows, with sharks circling to attack, and without a split second of hesitation He says 'okay, I will offer my Son to fix this.' Why can I not keep this in the front of my mind instead of way in the back? Thanks for a good, thought provoking blog.

    ReplyDelete