Friday, September 13, 2013

A Few Scattered Thoughts

The next door neighbor's dog has a death wish. Its nothing personal, really, its just that at 3:00am my usual dog-loving spirit gets replaced by viscous sleep-hungry-above-all else monster that could easily rip limb from limb.  Don't they ever sleep?

I've had the opportunity to pray in small groups a few times, and I always ask if I can pray in English.  There is something about praying in Spanish that feels a little phony to me still...like praying in a fake British accent or something.  I know that God doesn't only speak English, and there is that beautiful verse about the Spirit interceding for us with groaning too deep for words, so it isn't really about language at all...but still, I don't feel like me when I speak Spanish yet, not really.  Roman prays all in Spanish, so maybe its not just me.

Lemons fall like manna from heaven from the neighbor's yard here.  Manna that thumps on the roof at night and just might scare the living daylights out of you.  BUT it is so nice to have lemons for our water...especially since I don't like water by itself.  And to buy them is quite expensive.  Its the little things :)

"Blindness separates people from things, deafness separates people from people"--Hellen Keller.  Bethany shared this with me yesterday.  I'm still chewing on it.  All I know at this point is that it makes me very sad.

I really like being a "teacher"...though I had to beg Ami for help when it came to math.  Unfortunately it is neither Abi's nor my favorite subject.

Ah, this is something interesting.  I think that whenever I travel the country decides to shake things up a bit for me...physically.  There was an earthquake here two days ago!  Nothing like the ones in Costa Rica...but still...isn't that a little funny?

Speaking of Costa Rica, I can honestly say that living there has helped me here in many many ways.  Good to be able to say.

Today I got the chance to feel very useful!  Bethany and Roman got new closets in the bedrooms, and so they were very busy all day with the architect and moving things etc.  SO, Eli, Abi and I spent the whole day together.  We baked two cakes and made pizza for supper.  I am going to be honest, overall I would look back on the day and describe it as delightful...I really like these two little girls and they can be very funny, however, there were moments where I went to pull my hair out...which you shouldn't do when you are up to your elbows in dough!

Eli anecdote:  (She was playing with the apples I was chopping up for one of the cakes, she was making them talk to each other)

The chosen Apple: "I don't want Erin to chopp-ded me! Eli, don't choose me to go!"
apple friend 1: "Aww, we'll miss you"
apple friend 2: "Don't worry it won't hurt"

I am quite happy here.


No comments:

Post a Comment