Friday, September 6, 2013

Let's start at the very beginning....

Elli, Abbi and I in front of some kind of fountain at Buen Pastor
Well, it is quiet time of Day #1...blog time :)
I arrived last night after some crazy flight rearranging due to massive delays on the flight from Miami to Chile (of which we of course were fortunate enough to be on board the plane to wait out).  I met the most enthusiastic greeting party of all time, and that helped my energy immensely. (I told dad that the airport would probably charge me extra for all of the heavy bags I had under my eyes!...I didn't sleep but 30 minutes during the 30+ hour voyage).  After eating supper and enjoying the Caceres family I cleaned off my travel grime (ask me about Argentine showers sometime) and fell asleep in the world's most comfortable bed.  I woke up at 8:00 (7:00 US) and ate breakfast with the family.  I love that.  We spent a mostly quiet day, with the exception of a quick jaunt to buy vegetables for lunch. (ate a DELICIOUS new soup type thing that I am definitely going to make when I get home)  The girls and I made bracelets and set up a table outside for a picnic.  The weather here is incredible!  This evening we went to one of the downtown Cordobas...which brings us to the pictures :)
The hospital where Abbi was born











It is so nice to be a part of this family.  They are encouraging and warm...and we love the same God!
Eliana took this picture (she wanted you to know that) of the Catedral.  The statues at the bottom are sad to me.


A maybe-amusing story:  a lady in an ice cream shop  heard me speaking in English and said to me (in Spanish) "wow, your English accent is so good!"
   
I wish I could take enough pictures to give you a feeling of how much this city is a mixture of typical Latin America and a more European city.

Thus far I really like Argentina itself.  The streets in the neighborhood where we live are nice and wide, and pretty clean.  There are native trees called Palos Borrachos (drunk sticks) that I really like.  The temperature is very nice (though Bethany lent me the turtle neck you see because this morning it was cold...and I am not unpacked yet!)  The city has brick paved streets and a mixture of old and new buildings of a variety of architectural styles. I find it very inviting.  
Elli and I.  Abbi took this picture :)
Within the next couple of days Abbi and I will start school!  I am looking forward to everything.  I am sure this blog is completely disjointed, but there is just so much to take in and so much to say...and despite my happiness I am still very low on sleep!  Thanks for caring, and thanks for your patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment