Thursday, September 12, 2013

Bible Study

First of all....it is freezing here!  There is no way I could have forseen this weather in order to be adequately prepared!  On Wed. it was 104 degrees and today?  51!  It is HALF as warm today as it was two days ago...fortunately Bethany has an open heart...and an open closet!  Hooray for turtlenecks :)

Second of all...lemons are falling from the neighbors tree into our yard like manna from heaven, que suerte! especially since they are so expensive at the market!

And now to the point....

Nope, I lied.  Third of all, I need to figure out how to survive in this "stay up till all hours of the night and wake with the sun" culture.  I have never been good at napping, my poor mom can attest to that and regale you with tales of a very difficult 5 year old with temper issues.  But yes, all that to say, any of these posts that come late at night should be read with grace toward my weary (and yet completely excited) state of mind!

NOW to the point:

Last night I went to the young adult's study.  I don't have much to say about that because it was mostly just a sermon, the pastor visited and spoke.  It was good, but I'm not going to recap an entire sermon for you here on this blog :)  Though, I will say it did strike me all of the sudden:

"I can't believe I'm here, listening to a sermon in Argentina...in Spanish...as though I belong here.  How did this happen?!  Is this really my life?"

I didn't talk to many people but one guy did make sure I had my FILL of mate...over and over again.  Bethany told me that if you say "gracias" when you hand the cup back that means you are done and don't want any more.  This guy apparently didn't get that.  And how can you say no to such an eager and cheerful face of generosity?  I don't even like mate yet.

Tonight we went to the women's bible study.  I sat beside Ana.  She is a Catholic but she doesn't know anything about the Church.  She says she believes in things, but she can't explain them.  She was astounded that I had a Bible in English, she didn't believe it could possibly be the same Word as a Spanish Bible.  Everything was new to her.  She didn't understand how Jesus could also be God and she said she had never heard of the Holy Spirit.  Could you pray that she will come back next Thursday?

Also, please pray for Letti.  She has had a condition for a while now and the doctor in Las Bajadas has washed his hands of her.  She is coming on Monday to see a doctor that is a close friend of Lucia, a close friend of Bethany's.  Apparently having someone push to get answers is a necessity here.  So, yes, please pray that she will get some answers when she comes.

[Acts 17:23-29...its incredible]

No comments:

Post a Comment