Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Downtown! 'where all the lights are bright...'

Today Bethany and I went major shopping.  Eli's birthday party is on Friday and Danny and Ale are getting married on Saturday....there is much to do!

The weather was still cold, Bethany was very kind to lend me a winter coat!  However, the sky was blue and the sun was shining and the flowering trees are just starting to bloom.  On the drive to town I had a bubble of giggles inside of me.  It was a beautiful day, and I am happy here.

I SO wish I could have pictures to accompany this blog, but the downtown area we were in was not a place where you should really carry things around that you wouldn't mind being relieved of.

I really liked the market district.  We went into a cookware store to buy a wedding present for Ale (a new pava, tea kettle...not to be confused with pavo, turkey)  ;)  It reminded me of an old General store.  There were floor to 20 foot-ceiling shelves of...everything, and no prices.  The clerk behind the desk had GIANT folders with pictures and prices of everything.  There were bright copper kettles (and warm woolen mittens? no) right behind the old cash register, which helped make it feel old timey.  It could have the potential to make you feel a little claustrophobic...but it was a fun experience.

Next we went to the food market, which is one huge building divided into isles and open air specialty shops.  If I had a camera it would have housed several pictures of the "everything but the normal part of the cow" shop.  I didn't' know that...stuff...was edible.  Very interesting.  Also, apparently the uglier a salami is the better quality, who knew?

We also went to Makro, a place where you can buy 50lbs of instant mashed potatoes....not that we did, but just so you know, if you ever have a need...Makro is your go to buy in bulk store, and then to the American Embassy...aka Walmart.  Because of the buy in bulk mentality Walmart put a 1 bag per family limit on flour.  Bethany snuck me a 5 peso bill and I bought a second bag!  shhh, don't tell anyone.

It was really nice to spend all of that time with Bethany.  I really enjoy her as a person, so it was a great day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment