Monday, September 9, 2013

Its a sign!


Hola, me llamo Erin
Friday evening we went to Deaf Club.  That was an experience like no other.  It was interesting for me, being twice removed from their language, first because Spanish is not my mother tongue and second because I do not know Argentine sign language.  At times it was almost easier than listening to Spanish all on its own.  The people I talked to were very intentional with each word they mouthed and their hands gave me more to draw upon to understand their meaning.  I was so grateful for their patience in choosing to try to communicate with me.  I mean, this was their time to be around people that could fluidly speak with them, and they chose to try and talk to me.  It was humbling.

I was also struck by the amount of dedication and patience they have to have in each conversation with each other.  I watched two men disagree about something, it was the equivalent of a heated argument with words, but each person had to wait to speak until they had the full attention of the other.  There is no room for throwing words over your shoulder in passing.  You could get out of an argument by simply turning away.  The amount of restraint and respect it took to pay attention and wait to speak....it was good food for thought.  I want to speak, and listen more like them.

On a lighter note, I had a great time learning how to say a few things.  We were there for about 4 hours, which gave me plenty of time to learn!  I spent the majority of that time talking to a 16 year old named Nicolas; he was very patient.  I could now greet you, ask you how you are doing, respond that I am doing well and that my name is Erin.  I am a friend of Bethany and Roman's.  I arrived yesterday from the United States.  I don't speak sign language, but I do speak some Spanish.  My first language is English, I am not married, I do not want an alcoholic beverage thank you, I have a boyfriend, I am 22 years old.  How old are you?  I can also say toothpaste....which is somewhat of an outlier in my vocabulary at this point :)

I wasn't expecting to have sign be a part of this trip for me, which might sound silly to you since that is Bethany and Roman's primary ministry...but I just expected it to be too far beyond me, and that I would be more involved with the children at every given point.  However, I am really quite excited by it!  I wish I could show you everything I've learned so far!  One thing I didn't know, and you may not know either, is that they do not speak "Spanish Sign Language" down here, it is Argentine Sign, and even more specifically Cordobian.

Another note:  this was the first time I ever met other Argentines....I will have to get used to all of the kissing.  When you say hello, and when you say goodbye.  If you make eye contact...and sometimes when you don't!...prepare to be greeted like Paul instructed!

No comments:

Post a Comment