Saturday, September 14, 2013

From the desk of: A Worn Out Dishrag


Today was a hard day.  We got up very early and drove 2 hours to visit a cousin that Roman hasn't seen in many many many years.  I don't know how much liberty I have to explain things but it was a very difficult day from the standpoint of reopening a very tragic and sordid family past.  It was also difficult because the cousin and her husband were very closed to the gospel.  I can't explain in words how dark and oppressive it felt.  That conversation was hard partially because I was straining to understand them in Spanish and because it lasted 7 hours.  Which is a long time for anything, much less a very spiritual-battle-heavy-dredging-up-past-hurts-and-terrible-wrongs conversation.

I don't love people the way that He does.  Why was thinking about how terrible I felt so much more important and pressing on my mind than the eternal souls of Norma and Jose?
This was one of the moments when I snuck the girls out.  They didn't understand the gravity of the discussion...even though they did try their best to be quiet.  In this picture you can see Crazy Eli, and Abi's finger...we are working on photography skills.

After that I honestly didn't feel like I could handle anything else...especially not if it was in Spanish.  But, we were all the way out there, and Roman's brother Javier lived in the next town...so off we went.  [On a lighter note as soon as I walked in the door everyone in the family immediately said I must be Kerry's daughter because I looked just like him.  I get that from everyone who met my dad...should I be concerned?  Bethany constantly contends that I look like my mom.]

It made a huge difference to be in the presence of people who love the Lord.  HUGE.  The conversation however trended toward the downward spiral of Argentina, the Church and humanity in general.  I did not do an amazing job of grasping an eternal perspective toward the subject and so I had one of those terrified "I never want to bring children in to this terrible decaying world!" sick feelings.  Can't dwell there, but honestly I was...am exhausted and probably not...definitely not, doing the best job of guarding my mind from the Evil One.  I really appreciate your prayers.

Natalia, Roman, Eli, Javier, Mari, Brenda y Abi
Tomorrow I go to the church in Cordoba for the first time.  Hopefully by the a.m. I will feel less like a worn out dish rag.

Also, it has been in the high 40's here...I packed for 70's at the coolest....thanks be to Bethany for her open closet! (which you see me modeling in these pictures)

No comments:

Post a Comment