Wednesday, September 25, 2013

I can't talk to you the way I've wanted to

Mari and Eric came over today to do translation work and Roman let me sit in on the meeting!  I LOVE this.  I love it.  Here are some reasons why :)

-Eric and Mari are not Christians, so watching them pour over the Bible and dissect it to discern the meaning and figure out how to interpret it into sign language just makes me feel glowy inside.  They may not know it, but they are part of a Bible study :)

-Sign language is so animated!  I love watching it, I think it is a beautiful language, and it is so interesting to me.  The ways you express differences with direction changes, facial expressions...its so complex and yet so simple.  I love it.

-When I am just listening to Spanish I can feel like "ah!  I don't speak this, I speak English!" but when the choice is between Spanish and sign language I feel like "Ah!  I don't speak sign!  I speak Spanish!" and that is a great feeling.  When I get lost in Spanish someone will explain in English, when I get lost in sign language, it gets explained in Spanish...which makes me feel closer and more kindred with that language...does that make sense?  I'm not sure I explained it well.

I am super glad that Roman and Bethany taught me the alphabet and numbers, because I could follow along so much better, Roman and Mari spell words to each other because Roman isn't 100% fluent yet.  And then, while we ate merienda I was able to talk to Mari and spell things to learn new vocab words :)  I love it.

I payed extra special close attention to Mari and Eric and I memorized 2 Timothy 3:16.  Here it is ...in what is most likely extremely silly Erin-Argentine sign language :)


2 comments:

  1. Impressive and expressive. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think about you every time I see sign language! Was that anything like ASL?

    ReplyDelete